View Single Post
Old 05.12.2016, 13:46
Forum Legend

Groaned at 421 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 19,832 Times in 10,623 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I agree, but I get the impression that the politics in the British government have become more complex. The Remainers would likely favour this solution, but the more hard line Brexiteers are seeking a complete break from the EU and common market and have been waxing lyrical on the future benefits of breaking away altogether and creating a completely new market (presumably in the Anglo-sphere and/or Commonwealth).

The debate has gone beyond practical economic considerations and appears to be dominated by ideology now - like our little friend here who'd like to see the EU "crash and burn" even if it takes him with it. I don't think there is enough time to move to the latter model without Britain suffering a bit of an economic disaster, but I suspect the Brexiteers are afraid that if they agreed to membership of the EEA in the interim, they'll lose the momentum and they'll end up pulled back into the EU.
The vote was to leave the EU.
Britain is already a member of the EEA & it would appears needs separate notice from ART 50. No need to agree to joining something we are already a member of.

Talk of a hard BREXIT is just a bargaining chip, the best deal for Britain is what is needed. Britain is in a strong position, no reason to throw away your advantage