View Single Post
Old 07.12.2016, 17:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,953 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What sort of confrontational British government statements are they referring to? I thought the accusation was that we weren't revealing our negotiation position at all?
He didn't specify

Quote:
View Post
Not much evidence of that so far. Fastest growing economy in the G7.
I take it you've heard the maxim...

"When people get scared, get greedy.
When people get greedy, get scared."

We're currently witnessing the first line of that. As fatmanfilms likes to point out, the FTSE is on the up, but who is making the investment?

The rumblings I'm getting from friends and family, and from people with a highly visible public profile like Martin Lewis, is that consumer confidence and spending is falling since Cyber Monday. The advice is to use savings to reduce debt and mortgages, and replace any household items that are due to be renewed within the next 3yrs. I'm also hearing friends say they're having one last blowout Christmas before battening down the hatches.

Going slightly off point, about 15yrs ago, I had a debate with an American friend who challenged me to list all the products in my home that were manufactured in America. The closest I had was a pirate XP disc. When you view property in Switzerland, many of the kitchens are kitted out with Swiss made appliances. Now....what would a UK home look like with only UK manufactured goods and appliances?

The UK service sector is huge, but it's incredibly vulnerable. Where do we honestly stand when it comes to large scale manufacturing that doesn't serve niche markets?
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: