View Single Post
Old 13.12.2016, 16:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So? If how your constituency voted is enough to decide a vote then with 60% of constituencies having voted leave, your point isn't much of a point, is it?
Just to expand on this, the EU referendum results were announced by local authority NOT Westminster constituencies! To be totally honest, I wasn't aware of the full magnitude of this until checking some results a few weeks ago, and finding that both my home town and the area where my vote was recorded, are affected by this anomaly.

Quote:
There’s a problem with this claim. The results of the referendum were not announced according to Westminster constituencies, but by local authority area. There is no referendum result for Hornsey and Wood Green.There is a referendum result for the London Borough of Haringey, which contains Hornsey and Wood Green — but then Haringey also contains the constituency of Tottenham. The 75% figure therefore represents some unknown admixture of purely notional results for these two separate constituencies.
https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/th...0e1#.grvtwp24r

MP's have a serious problem here. How do they know how to vote in line with their constituents when the data isn't there?

The constituency where my vote was registered is Windsor whose MP is Adam Afriyie. Afriyie is Conservative and was part of the Leave campaign. The referendum result was declared as Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, thereby including Theresa May's constituency. The result was 53.9% Remain. If those two MPs vote in line with their constituents...well I think we can all see the issue here.
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: