View Single Post
Old 19.12.2016, 17:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,878 Times in 2,215 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
1) What is actually done/tested as part of it? I don't really fancy getting a garage to take the car for me, as any time we go near one a bill for many hundreds appears, for the simplest of tasks. My german is okish - what will I be expected to do?

2) As above, the car is in good shape, and recently serviced. Other than turning up clean (as mentioned by previous posts), anything else to specifically check that's a simple fail? (other than simple stuff such as bulbs?)
No need to pay a garage to do it. I'm not sure what role a 'normal' German-speaker is expected to play in the testing process, but I feigned ignorance and after giving me a grunt and a roll of the eyes, the tester took the keys from me and did everything else himself. I imagine if I spoke German, he'd have asked me to work the controls while he tested various things (indicators, etc) rather than having to jump in/out of the vehicle each time to verify their functioning. (The French Controle Technique has another approach to this: mirrors!)

I would double-check that all of the lights work, that the 'Check Engine' light is off, that there are no visible leaks, wipers are in good shape, washer fluid is topped up, and that all of the bodywork/trim is secure. Beyond that, you should be fine.
The following 3 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post: