View Single Post
Old 11.01.2017, 17:24
Forum Legend

Groaned at 225 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 17,123 Times in 6,228 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to expect at a Bachelor / Bachelorette party in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

Some people we know are getting married, and I'm guessing they will have Bachelor and Bachelorette parties . They are Swiss, and I'm just wondering what to expect ? ( tradition wise )

I've seen groups of Bachelor's and Bachelorette's out on the town before, and it looks like they wear costumes.

How long do the parties last ? Should you bring a gift ?

Best regards,
TheLaughingCow
Bachelor/Bachelorette parties in the US sense (or a hen night for the Brits) are not that Swiss. The concept only arrived here with Hollywood. Swiss tradition would be a "Junggesellenabschied" or "Polterabend" which mostly involves a lot of alcohol, no pink stretch limos or stripper (the concept of strippers is in general pretty unknown in central Europe as prostitution is legal...). Some wear some silly costumes, but that is some imported idea as well.

There might be some local traditions, but nothing major. In northen Germany will the friends of the guy burn his pants and bury them, where I am from you smash some table ware in front of the house of the bride to bring them good luck. But it's not as wild as drunk British women on a hen night in Spain or something...