View Single Post
Old 11.01.2017, 17:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 39 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,577 Times in 807 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you compromise on? (property search)

In order to live within the tram system of Zurich city, and yet have a house, we searched seriously for more than five years and made a number of bids in the very frustrating blind bidding system that often prevails in the city.

Certainly, I compromised on the garden size: back garden especially is tiny, but we rationalised by convincing ourselves it would be low maintenance.

I compromised on having a terraced house instead of free standing. However, so far, the neighbours have been nice.

I compromised by buying an old fixer upper when I have little clue about DIY. On the negative side, it cost a fortune to refurbish and the process was stressful indeed.... probably to the point of affecting my health. Swiss refurbs are only something I can recommend in hindsight!

We bought in Dec 15, planned the work Jan to Mar, work started in April and we moved in during July. On the upside, we really have a place we can be proud of and the kitchen and other rooms are designed to our likes... this really is priceless.

I compromised by having a non covered garage, instead a parking space in the front garden - but so far its not a big deal.

We did not compromise much at all on the fixtures and fittings. I just took the attitude that the refurb is mostly a one off and I want it to be the way I want, for example buying Miele instead of the originally planned Siemens white goods.

Unexpected benefits are that our street is a cul de sac and this is great to have no through traffic. Also, in summer, our house has a real mediterranean feel, lovely to have a glass of wine in either our front or back garden in the evening. We hadn't expected it to feel quite as nice as it does.

Of course, If my budget would be higher I'd have a detached house on a plot of land on the Zurichberg with helipad, but I'd say I've actually done very well all things considered. Very happy, compromises are needed in everything.