View Single Post
Old 13.01.2017, 21:14

Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Vote on allowing easier citizenship for third generation

Quote:
View Post
I agree that if a third generation 'terzo' is integrated in CH then it is not very difficult to get citizenship, like you said it's a formality. This vote is not really about them.

This vote is more about the people who are third generation born here, yet are unable get citizenship. Why are they struggling with this? Seems the most likely reason must be a lack of integration with the broader society, otherwise what is stopping them from going through the normal naturalisation process the same as everybody else?

If you are third generation born in Switzerland and you are still unable to integrate enough to get your citizenship then there is a serious problem.
And I donít think the solution to that problem is to simply make the citizenship process easier for those who, frankly, canít cut the mustard.

Citizenship of any country is a privilege and it should be earned.
The cost of applying for citizenship should be taken into account. I guess it might be possible that some parents can't afford to pay for putting their kids through the process.

Also the residency requirement for a child seems unnecessary, especially as they generally have no control over it.

And finally, the reasons that some communes give for blocking the process aren't always entirely to do with how well integrated a family is. Wearing the wrong type of trousers has been given as a reason for example.
This user would like to thank DanLF for this useful post: