View Single Post
Old 16.01.2017, 13:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,182 Times in 9,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Most battles are won by providing a path for the enemy to retreat in a way they can accept. Same in the political arena. In this case, the EU hardliners probably just need a concept they can accept to save face. At the moment, everything is being played according to EU nomenclature.

In the case of US Trade deals, Trump said we will be replacing "free trade" with "smart trade". This play on words is key. Who in their right political mind would reject a concept of being "smart"?

I think this conceptual pathway out is all the EU will need to "gracefully" back track, and allow the politicians to look like they are doing their jobs. Afterall, that is what most of them are simply after.
Legally the UK cannot sign a trade deal with the US while still an EU member and while still a member of the single market.
I wonder how May will explain this to Trump and that he must wait at least two years; I believe Trump is the sort of person who will say "now or never"!

I doubt May will flout EU rules and immediately agree to a trade deal but you never know