View Single Post
Old 18.01.2017, 01:25
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,007 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But that is not what the supporters of BREXIT want! They are looking for full access to the single market with out being subject to the rules of that market.
Stick to expressing your own views, please Jim. Don't presume to speak on my behalf, or on behalf of the 17.5m who voted to leave the EU.

I might "want" free beer and world peace and an end to global warning, but this doesn't mean I expect to get all of it, or that I'll start ranting and raving if I get none of it. It's time we stopped talking about what people "want" from Brexit, but what people expect, and what they would settle for.

So in an ideal world I would like free trade with the ability to manage our own immigration levels according to need, plus no membership of the EU parliament and to be free from the Euro courts. A group of friendly countries with free trade and sensible, humane migration management. Apparently this is impossible, so a hard Brexit it is and what I would accept. I don't know why complete freedom of movement of people is essential in order to have a reciprocal no tariff trade agreement, but there we are. Apparently it can't be done. So no single market membership for the UK. Let's accept that and get on with it.
The following 4 users would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: