View Single Post
Old 18.01.2017, 11:05

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
To date the only country who might ask for a reconsideration of FMOP is Austria and that depends on the elections there. Can you provide an concrete examples to support this statement? There are concerns regarding the influx of refugees etc.. but that is not the same as demands that the EU changes it's FMOP with respect to citizens.
FMOP is the current battle line with Brexit in public discussions. Elsewhere, FMOP is driving the upsurge of right wing populism; AfD, Le Pen, Geert Wilders, etc. Of course it goes deeper. Ultimately, it is about national sovereignty.

National sovereignty strikes me as a universally recognised principle. Whereas the EU's 4 pillars are the ideals of the organisation. They aren't really on par, and I wouldn't consider an ideal to supercede a principle.

An ideal is suppose to provide an optimally beneficial condition. When it doesn't, then it really isn't "ideal" afterall. The EU really needs to consider whether or not its 4 pillars is really delivering intended value to its members. But it does not seem to care enough to look and reconsider. It is not taking a pragmatic position.

I think one can trade off an ideal for pragmatism, but generally inadvisable to trade off a principle.