View Single Post
Old 24.01.2017, 12:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,074 Times in 465 Posts
swisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to German speaking Switzerland with a 9 yo kid not speaking German !

Hi Anahe, I agree with the above posters. My kids arrived with English and French but no German when they were 10 and 12 Years old. We had them repeat a school year right from the start, which helped tremendously. My son was able to join the intermediate stream after one year, and is now looking for an apprenticeship position for next year. He would not have been able to join Gymnasium, partly due to the language, partly because he just does not love school very much in general, so the vocational education is the better road for him. Our daughter is now in Grade 7 and doing very well, she too is in the intermediate stream, but working hard on moving up a level to join the highest stream for Grade 8. She just needs a 5.5 in either Math or German. She has a knack for languages and it is actually German she will probaly make the grade in. She very much wants to go to Gymnasium, but we'd be fine with the voacational route if she choses that. I think it all right to put your daughter into the German local school, as long as you are ok with her maybe not making the Grade to go to Gymnasium.