View Single Post
Old 06.02.2017, 08:34
Forum Legend

Groaned at 382 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 16,555 Times in 9,353 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a New Apartment in Vaud

a) not sure how it works exactly. We had our mortgage through UBS and as far as I know they organised it all. We certainly didn't.

b) If you've got your mailbox set up with your name on it and let the Post Office know in good time then you should be able to get mail delivered as soon as you take possession. You can notify the Post Office online about the change of address and when it's applicable from.

c) Yes. You should go over everything with the seller and make notes of things that need fixing/altering. And yes, a lot could be wrong that needs sorting out.

d) I guess that depends on whether or not the building will have a courciege. If so, then I would guess it's part of their duties to sort things like that out.

e) I don't think so, but frankly it could be pushing it a bit. You have the paperwork, the inspection which you have no idea how long that will take, etc, without adding moving in at the same time. I'd give it a day or two, since the inspection may turn up major problems that could delay you living there.

Definitely take a translator with you if you can. You need to understand exactly what you're being told. If you misunderstand then you have no comeback. And if you haven't already found one, get a notary who speaks English and can translate the sales contract for you. You and the seller will meet at the notary's office to go through the contract and they should translate each paragraph for you so you understand exactly what yours and the seller's obligations are regardng the purchase. This is what our notary did for us. Also bear in mind that you can negotiate on things if you want. We had a few small changes done the contract, the notary had his staff make the changes straightaway before we signed.