View Single Post
Old 07.02.2017, 16:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,248 Times in 9,883 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Understood, the police cancelled it, but in theory the uni and others could do the same for many reasons.

As you say above there, obscenity (vague i guess) and defamation aren't protected.

For example, in previous talks he has said many transexuals are retarded and have made up their own gender.

I could imagine giving this a platform could open up universities to a whole world of trouble on many levels.

Perhaps, whoever is in charge of booking just thinks his content is unpalatable. It is a judgment call that I suppose someone gets paid to make. Would it be acceptable to ban David Duke, as his opinion is that black people are inferior to whites? Surely that's also an opinion protected by free speech, but I think more people would be understanding if his schtick caught short shrift.
If you take this to its ultimate conclusion, if you cannot filter guest speakers on their political opinion, and you cannot ban certain speakers, then ypu need to ban all visits and talks by guest speakers that could have a political component.

Maybe even say, no politics on campus.

This would be quite sad.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post: