View Single Post
Old 10.02.2017, 10:33

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Why? So we can have a sterling leader like Trump as President? No thank you! Or do you just want a nobody placeholder as so many Presidents are while the Prime Minister is the one who wields the true power?
I know it's an unpopular view, but I just don't see the need for them. It's such a backward concept that Brits somehow cling to for God only knows why.

We talk about privilege, and this family is the most privileged of them of all. "It's a hard job, I don't know if I could do it" I hear you say. Well good! Thanks to the bygone system that's in place, you'll never get the chance.

Then there's all the unnecessary pomp of it all. The world looks on with bemused fascination when the old bag is dragged out for Trooping the Colour every year. Was there ever a bigger waste of money? And there's supercilious gestures to the plebs, "Oh there's a royal wedding so you're entitled to a day off work". And what's worse is the entire population falls for it hook, line and sinker, every. single. time.

They release family photographs and the nation goes all warm and gooey. WHY?! There's a legion of journalists that follow them around everywhere to report what they had for breakfast. I just don't get it.

"Well they're awfully good for tourism". Well France cut off the head of their king and they receive more tourists than anyone.

Britain still has a dreadful class system that the rest of Europe managed to do away with long ago. A good proportion of this problem stems from the monarchy and the feudal system that still exists to this day (don't even get me started on land ownership). Until there's radical change then Britain will continue to be ruled by these elites.