View Single Post
Old 10.02.2017, 16:55
RIP

Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough:

Life peers, hereditary peers and bishops make up a good number of the Lords. I don't agree with this and find it undemocratic.
A transferable vote or party nomination is preferable to the current situation in the House of Lords.
A direct vote for a candidate would be better still. You still believe the court case came about because of this?
From an earlier post:
We have (or are supposed to have) an elective democracy not an elective dictatorship. Parliament may, in law and in day to day issues, be the sovereign power in the state, but the electors are (in the words of Dicey's `Introduction for the Study of the Law of the Constitution' published in 1885) `the body in which sovereign power is vested'. Dicey goes on to point out that `in a political sense the electors are the most important part of, we may even say are actually, the sovereign power, since their will is under the present constitution sure to obtain ultimate obedience.' Bagshot, author of The English Constitution, 1867, describes the nation, through Parliament, as `the present sovereign'.

Loz, I think you should go and live in Hong Kong, they can vote for their leaders, you would be happier there....