View Single Post
Old 11.02.2017, 22:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 213 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 20,762 Times in 8,845 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]

Quote:
View Post
I never bothered turning off the cistern intake valves, seemed like a silly and unnecessary thing to do.... until last June when I'd been home maybe two days (after a two-week trip away to visit OH in Denmark) and noticed that the upstairs bathroom floor was rather damp. Took another two days of an increasing wet floor to realise that there was an almost invisi micro-crack in the porcelain cistern that was very slowly but steadily dripping water onto the floor. Dread to think of what damage would've happened if that crack had been just ever so slightly wider.
Trying not to be twitchy about it, but turning off the loo intakes now seems to be my equivalent of checking the gas is turned off/iron is unplugged.
I have a holiday home in Spain. About two years ago my neighbour there who has a key phoned and said the water man had been to read the meter and said we had been using way more water than normal. The two of them had been through the house together but had not found a problem. So he cut the water off at the main valve.

As the garden is irrigated from the mains and this was the middle of the summer, I could t afford to leave it without water so booked easy jet for the very next weekend. Spent 500 chf. I discovered a microscopic crack similar to yours in the toilet cistern. There wasn't a puddle as the water had been draining into the wc. The water bill was 200 chf more than usual. So in total 700 chf for not cutting off the water. I now have a separate valve to cut off the house without cutting off the garden, and a pressure reducer so that if the pipe to the garden should burst, the water won't flow off too quickly.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post: