Thread: Pipe smoking
View Single Post
Old 18.02.2017, 12:56

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hellbent has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pipe smoking

Quote:
View Post
I agree. Cigarette smokers very rarely manage to switch to pipe smoking. Most of them just keep inhaling (cough cough) and sipping way too hastily, which, as you know, turns the bottom of the chamber into a tar pit that accumulates chemicals that would put an oil refinery to shame.
From what I understand, cigarette smoke is more acid than pipe and cigar smoke. In order to get any nicotine a cigarette smoker is forced to inhale the smoke, something which is not necessary when enjoying a good pipe. But, I must say that I rarely get hit hard while smoking a pipe. A cigarette on the other hand might make the room spin.

Quote:
View Post
Talking about corn cob pipes, last summer we had a couple from Texas volunteering as lighkeepers at our station for a whole month, their second stay out there. Towards the end of their stay I arrived with my boat to drop off another couple for a few weeks and take the Texans back to the mainland the next day.

In the evening, the husband approached me and asked me if I could kindly teach him how to smoke a pipe. It had been a wish of his since he was a teenager, he said (he was in his late forties meanwhile). He went to one of his camping equipment boxes and produced a linen bag containing a virgin corn cob pipe, of which he said he had carried it everywhere for decades without ever using it because no one was able to teach him.

So we sat down by the camp fire, and I gave him a basic lecture. Fortunately, he wasn't a cigarette smoker. So we were enjoying a great sunset over the west beach (four miles of immaculate white sand and not one human being besides us), when his wife showed up after introducing the second couple (rookies) to their lightkeeper duties. She almost fainted when she saw him smoking his pipe. She, too, said she had known about his wish ever since they got engaged. He was as proud a kid that had managed to head-dive for the first time.

After arriving in our home port, I told him to pay a visit to that tobacconist is Traverse City on their way south. Months later I got an email telling me that he now keeps smoking one pipe every weekend and enjoys every minute. And they are planning on manning our station for another month next summer, which is nice. They are great people.
That's a lovely story there. He was lucky to meet you Corn cobs usually makes for really good smokers. A solid choice for beginners in my opinion. http://corncobpipe.com
This user would like to thank Hellbent for this useful post: