View Single Post
Old 27.02.2017, 08:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 386 Times in 298 Posts
Thanked 16,658 Times in 9,409 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Would they?

"Clennell was given indefinite leave to remain in the UK after marrying John in 1990 but spent periods back in Singapore caring for her parents before they died.

The government’s spousal visa system requires the British partner to prove earnings of at least £18,600 and the couple being able to show long stretches of uninterrupted time living in the UK.

Clennell lost her leave to remain as the time she spent out of the country when her parents were dying was too long. She has made repeated attempts – in Singapore and back in the UK – to reapply for permission to live with her husband.

Her last visitor visa expired last year and she was sent to a detention centre in Scotland after a routine appointment with immigration service in mid-January."

If she lived in Switzerland and was married to a Swiss national, but still stayed out of the country too long a) her permit would probably become invalid under the 6 month rule and b) she would have to apply for family reunification all over again. There has to be a limit to these things and the article says she has a sister in Singapore - so why wasn't she looking after the parents the Swiss authorities would ask. I expect the British did too.

She has also it seems overstayed her last visitor visa which ran out in December last year.

She knew the rules and didn't abide by them. She's also been in the UK long enough to apply for British citizenship which would have solved the problem - unless she's really spent more time out than in since her marriage.

I was told by passport control at Dover years ago when I was travelling back to the UK on my American passport that even though I was married to a British national I would lose my right to reside there. So I promptly applied for a new British passport which I had let lapse a few years earlier.