View Single Post
  #41  
Old 01.03.2017, 12:42
Auburn Auburn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 46
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Auburn has earned some respectAuburn has earned some respectAuburn has earned some respect
Re: Small appliances on extension cord: fire risk in Switzerland?

UPDATE: I checked this morning, and discovered that the extension cord is not on the same circuit as the one that caught on fire.

That's right, they are NOT THE SAME. I tested this by turning off the circuit with the dryer and dishwasher whilst plugging in the microwave under the sink, which continued to work. So the extension cord and its appliances could not have caused the problem despite what the electrician said.

Why he missed this is beyond me--I'm guessing he was so annoyed at seeing an extension cord with UK devices put in by an "amateur electrician" as he kept saying that he just lost the plot. That, and he clearly hates English people. He was rude from the moment he heard my dodgy accent.

It's really not the landlord trying to get out of paying. They were very nice and said they would pay for all of the repairs regardless. We are still having another, recommended electrician from a different company (who had no problem with my French) come in tomorrow to check things. Better safe than sorry and all that. If the house needs major work the landlord will of course pay.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, you've been really helpful. Hopefully this will all be resolved soon!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Auburn for this useful post: