View Single Post
Old 02.03.2017, 15:00
RIP

Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Small appliances on extension cord: fire risk in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
So the new electrician has just been. Apparently the plug sockets for the dishwasher, washer and dryer were the wrong sort: they need to be specifically for large appliances, rather than just a "normal" one. This was clearly the landlord taking a shortcut. (He did a lot of the electrics himself.) The electrician replaced one plug socket and will come back to do the others. He affirmed that it had nothing to do with my toaster and blender and in fact it was okay to use extension cords in the kitchen!

He was not bothered about the plug under the sink at all. He said there was no water damage, just damage from the wrong socket type.

For the rest of the electrics, he said that appliances had been added to circuits incorrectly (there are three large appliances on each circuit instead of just one) and recommended redoing the whole thing, although there is no fire risk. Not sure if the landlords will be keen but I'm just relieved that the problem has been fixed. And also that I can continue to plug in more than one appliance in my kitchen!
Years ago I renovated an old house, including upgrading the entire electrical system. As I had served my time as an electrician I did everything myself, from the fuse panel on, sometimes asking electricians about what the local code was, but mostly just using common sense.

Once I had completed the distribution side we called an electrical contractor to come and quote on installing a new distribution panel. Unfortunately I ended up being out of town on the day when the guy came to look at the existing installation so he could formulate a quote. Up till then I had just given him a list of how many breakers & size, & where I wanted GFIs and such.

On the day he came to take a look my wife was there, with a hand written list of my questions and requirements. Once he'd taken his measurements and looked at the installation in the rest of the house, he said to my wife:

Quote:
You know Mrs., sometimes I go to the Jumbo on a Saturday and I see all these people buying stuff for electrical installations. It's legal, but I know that for a lot of it I or someone else will be called out to fix in the following week. This is the first time I have seen such a large installation where I couldn't find a single thing which was even questionable.
The point is not "look at me, I'm great", but rather that a lot of people think that it is an acceptable job if the bulb lights, and no smoke comes out. If you do make a change to your own electrical installation, inform yourself before you start, and spend some money to have an electrician come and inspect it, even if only informally for a bottle of wine.