View Single Post
Old 03.03.2017, 13:16
RIP

Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Small appliances on extension cord: fire risk in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Why didn't you do the fuse panel? Just wondering. Was it simply because you don't have the Swiss piece of paper saying you are allowed to do so?

I ask because our fuse/distribution panel is a mess and some circuits are missing RCDs so I'd quite like to get it all changed/modernized.
Yes, I asked a couple of licensed sparkies who were doing datacomm stuff where I worked, and they all said that only a licensed sparkie can do it legally, and that the first thing the inspector asked for was who did the installation.

On top of that I couldn't find a supplier for the panel itself. The original panel was a wood frame and asbestos plate, so I needed the whole shebang, frame, meter, rcds... everything.

It wasn't a big deal, as I replaced the circuits one by one I just arranged all my feeds so that the conduits only entered the existing panel at the top and one side (so that the new panel could be larger vertically and horizontally), and as I replaced the circuits one after the other I made sure that I left LOTS of wire inside the old panel so that they could rearrange them to reach a row of TBs along the top edge.

In the end the new panel was about 2300CHF, including about 6 hours installation.

IIRC if your panel is suitable (i.e. size, DIN rails, materials, earth) you can actually do whatever you want downstream from the meter (Can't remember if the main fuses are before the meter or after), and frankly, as long as you follow the code and do a proper job, an inspector wouldn't notice.