View Single Post
Old 15.03.2017, 15:30
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,172 Times in 575 Posts
Aeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

So the Ottoman Empire was considered European? And the bit where I did qualify my statement with "German and Italian unification saw a few minor conflicts and there were a few civil wars"? Which leaves us with:

1823 French invasion of Spain (although this was part of a civil war)
1885 Serbo-Bulgarian War
1897 Greco–Turkish War

Which (even if you include the one's you omitted) comfortably fall into a "few minor conflicts". Indeed, the list of conflicts you give is about the same length as it has been since the founding of the treaty of Rome - so while the EU has helped the cause of European peace, I would not get too smug about it either and presume that this is why we've had such a long period of relative peace.

If you disagree with me, I suggest you google the European State System and perhaps the foreign policies of Bismark too or look at the various conflicts we've seen in the last sixty years.
This user would like to thank Aeneas for this useful post:
This user groans at Aeneas for this post: