View Single Post
Old 20.03.2017, 17:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,976 Times in 11,067 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not every competitor. Domestic ones are not subject to tariffs. Kind of the point to them.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds? Photographer for 'Men Only', were you?

Off topic (not that I'd get a response) but here's something I find strange - No problem where it comes to unfettered free trade, but the moment cheap labour is on the horizon, then it's a case of curbing immigration to protect British jobs...
I am talking about the tariffs paid on equipment I used in the earlier part of my career. Typical Broadcast quality PAL SD Camcorder used to cost 70,000 with a useful life time of 2 years (tube cameras) & 3-4 years for CDD cameras, do the maths over 25 years.
I mainly worked on commercials since 2000, day rates far higher than anything else & you generally don't have to own much kit as the client will rent whats needed.
Quote:
View Post
Did it really hurt you, hurt your bottom line? Every competitor was also subject to the tariffs so there's a fair chane it "merely" raised the general price level.
Decimated it when BBC started 'producer choice' in the 1980's, historically they employed both full time staff plus freelancers & gave them equipment needed, then they gave then zero hour contracts to all but kit needed to be provided by the cameraman. Hiring as needed was a no go as the hire companies charged as much for the kit for 1 day hire as the BBC would pay for a cameraman with kit.

You have to remember around 1982 average UK house price was about 18,000, having to spend 70,000 to be able to work in your 20's was a killer. Today far better kit can be bought for 10,000, so the costs are peanuts in comparison.

Last edited by fatmanfilms; 20.03.2017 at 17:15.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: