View Single Post
Old 20.03.2017, 19:29
szdro szdro is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 128
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
szdro has earned some respectszdro has earned some respect
What happens when house owners become non-resident?

I'm not a citizen of EU/EFTA. I'm using permit B and plan to buy a house in Switzerland. I wonder what will happen when someday I'm no longer a resident of Switzerland. Is there anything I should worry about? Can I keep that property without selling it? Should I still file tax claim with authority after I become a non-resident? If not, what will happen to that Eigenmietwert?

I found this link online which says:

"Third-country nationals
You do not require a permit to buy a main residence (e.g. single-family house or owner-occupied flat) or building land where you live if you meet the following requirements:

* You hold a valid residence permit, generally a B permit for foreign nationals.
* You will live in that main residence for as long as you hold residence in that location.
* If you wish to build on the land that you have purchased, you must do so within one year.

You will require a permit in order to purchase the following types of apartment:

* Holiday apartment
* Housing unit in an apparthotel (hotel with flats)
* Second home

Not sure if I understand this correctly: "You do not require a permit to buy a main residence", the "permit" in that sentence does not mean residence permit right? Otherwise I couldn't imagine how a third-country nationals can be a resident without a permit.

That link says a third-country national can buy a property for main residence purpose, but what will happen when he/she becomes a non-resident?

Last edited by szdro; 20.03.2017 at 20:08.
Reply With Quote