View Single Post
Old 28.03.2017, 13:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 446 Times in 384 Posts
Thanked 18,522 Times in 9,814 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Which ever one of the government minister is responsible for the application, It came out a couple of months ago. There is no other reasonable option if they want to gain membership in say three years.
So far as I understand the situation is the UK has to negotiate their WTO tariffs after Brexit with WTO members.
The strategy announced is to negotiate based on the same EU tariffs that UK applies today in the hopes the UK can argue "look nothing changes, you can quickly agree".
Whether this strategy will be successful only time will tell!

Basically this may be a dumb strategy! Why?
Well the EU has mostly set their WTO tariffs to discriminate against products that are widely traded within the EU between EU countries to reduce foreign competition for these.
Now when the UK adopts EU WTO tariffs then in future the products we mostly trade with EU will face these discriminatory tariffs