View Single Post
Old 31.03.2017, 18:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 297 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 16,286 Times in 9,042 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
My Anglo-Scottish side of the family is split bang in the middle of the generational gap and yes, some of the 60+ year-old relatives are coming up with stuff they would have never said (they might have been thinking it, though) back a couple of years ago.

There is a convergence of factors, Brexit is not the only one and I certainly would not accuse the majority of Brexiters to be bigots but, if the evidence remains anecdotal, people feel "freer" to vent openly their prejudices. That in my view is the saddest consequence of the current political climate.

Having said this, France is holding a similar discourse, but Britain used to be held as an example in Europe of tolerance, open-mindedness, and yes, political correctness whose detractors must now breathe a sigh of relief. The loss of "Cool Britannia" is in my view the greatest loss post-Brexit. My children, with their bilingual and bicultural heritage and with friends all over Europe, cannot understand either what is happening to some of our old neighbours and relatives.
I suspect they are saying what they would have said 30 years ago. Robinson's gollywogs were only dropped from packaging in 2001, when politically correctness took over.
http://revealinghistories.org.uk/leg...golliwogs.html
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: