View Single Post
Old 02.04.2017, 23:26
ivank ivank is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Regulations on house rental (Permit B v.s. C)

View Post
For example, one colleague told me never to buy a house here because as permit B holders, you have to sell your house 6 months after you leave Switzerland.
This is completely wrong, there's no law that forces you to do that. BewG/BewV regulates just buying of the property.

However it's not really necessarily a wise decision to keep the house if you leave Switzerland. Managing the property from far abroad is a challenge, you'd need to hire and pay some local guy or agency to run it. AFAIK this is even a legal requirement: authorities and utilities need a local contact for questions regarding to property. And then you'd need to file and pay swiss taxes every year and potentially deal with double taxation issues with your new country.

The mortgage broker told me spouses always co-own the house, it doesn't matter who actually buy the house.
Not really. You're free to choose when marrying whether you want to have a separation of wealth (Gütertrennung) or shared wealth (Gütergemeinschaft). With separate wealth, you can have the house all to yourself - but it's not a guarantee that your spouse won't get a bite of it during divorce, especially if she's earning less than you and has kids custody.
Reply With Quote