View Single Post
Old 24.07.2008, 15:42

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
irish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of many
Re: Why I HATE Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Well, consider the other side of the coin, having been here for nearly 20 years and also probably not going to leave anytime soon, one of the things that really ****es me off (and which is extremely prevalent here, which is why I rarely read anything) are the long-term ex-pats (naturalised or otherwise) who seem to feel the need to defend the swiss to their last dying breath, and explain in a logical way why everything that the swiss do makes sense etc.

I like living here, otherwise I wouldn't still be here, but it takes a lot to maintain one's sanity (or what little is left).
I agree - that is just as annoying though in my experience a lot rarer (but maybe its the expats Im exposed to). Indeed Ive only "met" that type (more swiss than the swiss themselves) online.

Quote:
View Post
Personally, and stealing something that originated from Ernest Hemingway who when asked if there were one quality needed, above all others, to be a good writer, replied, “Yes, a built-in, shock-proof, crap detector.”, I would say that such a thing is also what is needed when living in switzerland...
This is also something you'd need to live in Dublin (where Im from). Which is my point - the thing I dislike most about living here is hearing expats complain(*) about things in CH, while enjoying the positives CH has to offer, when all countries have negatives and positives. I was expat in Italy, Sweden and the US and I didnt come across this phenomenon as much as I do here.

(*) unnecessary complaints/ranting - Im not talking about fair observations or questions that crop up in forums.