View Single Post
Old 03.04.2017, 15:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,184 Times in 9,672 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What is shocking for me is the fact that as a UK citizen you need special approval and criteria met to be able to bring your family????

Excuse me but this looks outrageous even for someone who has absolutely nothing to do with whatever situation. It can't be.
There is also the somewhat Alice in Wonderland situation that if you are a UK citizen but want to bring your non-UK wife with you then she has to buy comprehensive health insurance in the UK.
This is despite the fact that as an EEA citizen under current rules my wife is entitled to use the NHS.

The situation is "Alice in Wonderland" because the word comprehensive is not defined anywhere? There have been several courts cases on this but no clear ruling or precedent.

Added complexity is that we are both over retirement age and there is no guarantee a UK insurance company would offer her a policy and certainly they would not cover pre-existing conditions.

There is a possibility she could remain covered by the Swiss Krankenkasse insurance under the EU scheme for retired people but then she would have to change to a different company .

More details here.

The simplest solution would be for the NHS to offer suitable policies but there seems to be no interest to do this.