View Single Post
Old 10.04.2017, 23:44

Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Slayer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car hire with different drop off locations

Just to update you on what I did for my trip to Zinal from Zurich..

I rented a rather well appointed Merc from Europcar near Enge (easier pickup/dropoff for me). It cost me roughly twice (almost 400 Chf with insurances) what a Skoda would have, but I was under the impression it had 4WD for my mountain trip (it didn't, as the rep politely apologised, that was last year's model) and as I am in sort of in the market for a practical but sporty car, wanted to audition it (decision: no way, the boot space was tiny, would have been better off with the Skoda, although it was VERY comfortable to drive and had a HUD and other bits. But the overall interior was rather gaudy for my tastes, so no Merc for me). The Skoda would have been around 200 Chf, maybe a bit more with full insurance. For mountain trips, always full insurance!

To note: I used Castro's advice; Travel Supermarket tip on this thread. Not sure if and how much it saved me, as I didn't have time to look at local options. Would be interested to know other people's experiences, re: car hire from Zurich region for a week.

Quote:
View Post
in the end we took the train, making sure that we had seats reserved which was a god send as we'd have never got seats otherwise. the look on the people faces when i politely asked them to vacate was priceless.
I don't see why they are surprised, where there is a big 'reserved' sign on the window. On my last experience with this, a 11-yr old Italian kid asked to see my ticket before he moved (savvy boy that, and in perfect English). He did concede without complaint. I think this is essential for cross-border travel, and also if you are carrying awkward luggage like ski/snowboard bags, as you cannot easily navigate through the narrow gangways with wide luggage looking for a seat (especially on older IR trains). For the 5 francs or so it costs, it is worth it for the saving in sweat.

Just as a side note: has anyone done the analysis of just renting cars for every need, and not buying one? Of course, it depends on your circumstances, like how far away from town you live, if you commute to work by car or not, etc.