View Single Post
Old 11.04.2017, 09:36
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,433 Times in 625 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non resident bank account

I opened a non resident account with UBS 2-3 months ago (there's a thread on here somewhere).

Costs 30CHF more than the normal account (can't remember if it's per month or per year). Rocked up at UBS in Zurich, got bounced around a few branches until I found one that was "big enough" to handle non-resident accounts (their words).

Side room, got asked for:
- passport
- employment contract
- UK address

and was good to go. Got told that if I had more than 10k deposit the account would be cheaper, but my initial deposit was 1GBP (test amount - was using currencyFair* for the first time).

Was also told that once I moved here, I would just have to show my B permit and they would change the account and address, and stop charging me the 30CHF.

One thing to note - they wont give you a "real" credit card with a non-resident account. You get one of those pre-paid ones.

Once I moved here, I did just that, now waiting for my new credit card.

If you want I can find details of the branch and lady I spoke to.
M

* If anyone is thinking of using currencyFair, let me refer you - we both get 45-euro and a free transfer...
This user would like to thank Spinal for this useful post: