View Single Post
Old 11.04.2017, 12:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
...but I know enough working class English people to know that they are neither stupid nor gullible.
Quote:
View Post
Well they certainly appear to be very politically unaware!
As a British working class person, I'm neither stupid nor gullible nor politically unaware. I've voted Liberal my entire adult life specifically because I believe that PR is one of the most important requirements in a functioning society, though oft neglected, and the various incarnations of the Lib Dem party are the only ones who've consistently had PR as a major manifesto issue. That neglect has led generations of people to believe that their vote doesn't matter, and that's why you get people disengaging from the political system and seeing it as a matter decided by 'elites'.

What I heard from people who voted Leave was that it was the first time in their life where they felt their vote was equal to everyone else, so they voted for change rather than more of the same. Now, I'm not risk adverse, but I like calculated risks, not change for the sake of change.
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: