View Single Post
Old 17.04.2017, 14:45
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 15 Times in 10 Posts
acmilan has a reputation beyond reputeacmilan has a reputation beyond reputeacmilan has a reputation beyond reputeacmilan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
You baked a colomba...man you are my hero! Anyway, I thought it takes much longer tbh. We have a similar dish and one really has to reserve a whole day...
These ones were all savoury! But even the sweet traditional one doesn't take long. I'm happy to post the sweet colomba recipe! Its just that I had some lovely cheese from Valle D'Aosta, so it felt right to use them in something special!

'We have a similar dish and one really has to reserve a whole day'

What dish is that, please? I always like coming across traditional foods of other regions and countries!

To make a traditional sweet colomba:

3 large free range eggs
350 grams 00 flour
90 grams sunflower oil - I'm sure you can use vegetable oil as well
170 grams full fat milk
150 grams caster sugar
zest of one whole lemon
zest of one whole orange
2-3 drops of almond flavouring / almond essence. Basically like vanilla extract in terms of concentrate, but using the almond one
1 teaspoon / small sachet of what we call 'lievito in polvere tipo pizzaiolo'. It usually comes in a sachet as I've posted and it states 'polvere lievitante PIZZAIOLO per torte salate, pizze, piadine e torta al testo'.
https://www.paneangeli.it/salati/lie...vito-pizzaiolo

For filling:
up to 150 grams of candid peel or chocolate chips (you can put raisins, but this is more traditional for panettone)

For the decoration:

Handful of whole almonds
Handful of pearl sugar / nib sugar / hail sugar

pre-heat oven to 180 degrees CELSIUS
Start by separating the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place the egg yolks into a big bowl as ultimately all of the ingredients will end up in that bowl. Place the egg whites in a small bowl.

Using a whisk, whip up the egg whites until you have stiff peaks. I would just use one of those handheld electric whisks.

To the egg yolks, add the sugar and whisk until thoroughly incorporated and you have a pale color.

Add the zest of the orange and lemon and blend them in

Add the almond flavoring as well as the oil and again gently blend all together using the handheld electric whisk

Whilst the whisk is still on, add the milk and blend it into the mixture

Whilst the whisk is still on, add the flour little by little until its smoothly blended into the mixture.

Whisk the whisk is still on but on lowest setting, blend in the lievito.

You'll see some of the dry ingredients like the flour on the sides of the bowl. Use a spatula to bring them in and blend them into the mixture.

At this stage, you can fold in the candid fruits / peel / chocolate chips, raisins or whatever filling you like

Get your stiffened egg whites and gently fold it into the mixture.

Pour the mixture into the colomba mould and decorate evenly with the pearl sugar and whole almonds.

Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for around 40 minutes.

Simple as that. The lievito pizzaiolo is a bit like baking powder so it is to provide instant rise. No proofing needed!

Last edited by acmilan; 17.04.2017 at 15:22.
This user would like to thank acmilan for this useful post: