View Single Post
Old 13.05.2017, 22:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,514 Times in 8,659 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
So the problem I have is that i tried to change my driving license that I got in my own country for the swiss one, but apparently you need to get your driving licence 12 months before entering switzerland and before getting your residence (something that I havent seen anywhere on the Ch website). I thought in a foolish way that it would be fine to do my license in my own country during the summer vacation after 2 years of living in Switzerland and afterwards converting it to the Swiss one(thinking it would be easier with the language and what not).

My question is, has it happened to someone else as well?. And if yes, do I have to redo the Swiss driving school again or just the tests (theoretical and practical).
You don not need to have your license for more than 12 months before registering as a residence. But, you would only get a provisional one valid for two years. In this two years you must two driving courses, have no major traffic infractions, and a BAC of max 0.01%.

Any driving license from aboard while beeing a Swiss resident can not be converted into a Swiss one.

What do you have do to:

Do the first aid course (Nothelferkurs).
Get the application form from your locals SAN/StVA website: http://www.strassenverkehrsaemter.ch
Get a nice photo of you
Get an sight test at an optometrists/optician (Cost CHF 10 to 20. )
Bring form and proof of first aid course to SAN/StVA or commone office.
Learn for the theory exam http://asa.ch/dienstleistungen/Theoriefragen/
Take
Pass the theory exam.
Do the road awarness course.
Pass the practical exam (no lessons needed).

If you hurryup it can be done in less than a month.

Done. You will get a provisonal license valid for the next three years. During that period you must two driving courses, have no major traffic infractions, and a BAC of max 0.01%.