View Single Post
Old 29.05.2017, 13:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 16,166 Times in 7,180 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Driving License

Quote:
View Post
Can I can continue to rely on my CH license elsewhere in Europe for a month or two after officially leaving CH? I will be leaving CH, then spending 5 weeks or so in Europe with no fixed domicile, before returning to the US to take up residence. Our California licenses long since expired, and there's no way to get a new one without showing up in person, so that's not an option. Loads of driving to do, as we'll be cramming in visits to family and friends before crossing the pond, so I want to be sure we're covered if we do get stopped for some reason.
I would say yes. First, you are considered, by your own description, as a tourist. Second, the exchange period in the EU would be between 6 and 12 months anyway, depending on country (There may be countries with shorter periods).

Be aware that you must exchange to a CA license 14 days upon taking up your Californian residence. AFAIK this is one of the shortest mandated exchange periods.

Questions:
Quote:
View Post
However, my experience is that California respects the CH license as valid to drive on a temporary basis (I suppose as a tourist; in any case, it worked for all my visits home).
Was this experiences with law officials such as police officers or even more interesting with traffic judges or just rental car providers, which do not really care what you show them?