View Single Post
Old 03.06.2017, 16:01
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LDL707 has no particular reputation at present
Swiss Grandmother. Citizenship Process?

I read an article today about the changes in Swiss nationality law, which has moved my interest in getting Swiss citizenship to the front burner before the law changes.

I posted several years back, but never really made much progress.

My grandmother was, undeniably, a Swiss citizen. (She held a Swiss passport until the day she died, and traveled on it in recent memory.) She was born (in London, strangely) in 1925, and died in Chicago in 2002. (She was a citizen of Basel BS).

My father, however, was unable to acquire Swiss citizenship at his birth. He was born in 1957 in the United States. It is my understanding that at the time, a Swiss mother was unable to pass citizenship to her children. When this was rectified, my father was unaware, and did not claim Swiss citizenship in the period in which he could have done so.

I was born in 1982 in Chicago.

In correspondence with the Consulate several years ago, it was suggested that I could apply for facilitated naturalization via Art. 58a, if I can demonstrate close ties to Switzerland. The listed the following criteria:
*Regular trips/vacation in Switzerland
*Close contact to friends and relatives in Switzerland
*Affiliation with organizations or groups representing Switzerland or Swiss living abroad
*Working for a Swiss company
*Ability to converse in one of the Swiss national languages or a Swiss dialect
*Interested in Swiss current affairs and good general knowledge of Switzerland (geography, history, political system, economy)

I have taken two short trips to Switzerland in the past two years, and am planning another later this year. I am a member of two Swiss Clubs in my home town. I am generally familiar with Swiss geography, history, politics, and economics (and I could become very proficient in short order).

Unfortunately, I don't speak French or German at all, and I speak limited Italian. (I speak fluent Spanish, so I can understand a good deal of written Italian, but I am far from conversational.) And, I don't know anybody in Switzerland (my Grandmother was an only child, so there is no remaining family).

Is this worth pursuing? Or have my ties to Switzerland diminished too far over the generations? I'd like to be a Swiss citizen (ultimately, I'd like to live in Switzerland), but I don't know how possible it is at this point.

Does anybody have any experience or expertise in these matters?