View Single Post
Old 11.06.2017, 16:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,269 Times in 4,583 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

I have been in the situation of having been given a doctor's certificate for a week, when I knew for certain that the healing/recovery process would take longer. That was frightening, as I didn't see how anyone could expect me to return to work after such a short time.

I did not know then that sometimes, doctors prescribe a short period of sick-leave, and then extend it as necessary, week by week. Partly this is to ensure that the patient (who needs ongoing treatment) does, in fact, return for the next round of examinations. Partly it is because people recover at different rates, and being told that one is out-of-action for the next few months can be a blow to one's confidence, and a doctor needs to be alert, and if possible cause no new psychological harm. Partly it is to avoid facilitating a patient's would-be disability, especially not by sending the message that the patient's case is less hopeful than the patient himself had perceived it. A doctor who does not yet know the patient may choose to err on the side of caution.

With your common-sense experience and some googling, try to figure out how many weeks you think your recovery is really likely to take. Then, at the next doctor's appointment, ask him/her for a detailed prognosis. Keep your question about the healing. Ask for the steps in the likely healing process, until you will regain full functioning. And how long the whole thing will take.

Only once you have been given this information, ask how it works with doctor's certificates to give to the employer. My employer had specifically asked for a doctor's certificate to cover the entire likely duration, so that they could plan for a substitute while I was away. When I told the doctor that after a few weeks, she changed her way of doing things: instead of giving me a new week-long certificate each week, she issued one for a whole month. I very much doubt she would haved done that from the start, despite my employer's request: she needed to get to know me first, and my injury.
The following 8 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: