View Single Post
Old 13.06.2017, 11:10
Canadastudent Canadastudent is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 7 Posts
Canadastudent has earned some respectCanadastudent has earned some respect
Leaving Switzerland - Swiss pension retrieval as EU passport holder

I know this is a much-discussed topic on this forum and I have looked through many of the threads. I apologize if I have missed one that answers this question but this seems very specific.

I am looking for someone who knows anything about holding an EU passport but leaving to live outside of the EU and receiving their Swiss pension contributions before retirement.

I have worked in Switzerland for one year and will be leaving in July to live in Canada. I have Dutch and New Zealand citizenship and am a Permanent Resident of Canada (Canada is my home, and New Zealand is where I grew up). From what I understand I probably can't get a pension payout or transfer because I have Dutch citizenship (it trumps NZ citizenship in this situation). Is there anyone here who has an EU passport and has moved out of the EU and has successfully transferred or received a payout of their Swiss pension contributions? What about if you purchase your first house abroad?

I cannot forsee that I will be living in Switzerland again so I am pretty sure my meager one-year pension contribution is just going to slowly disappear because it will be another 33 years before I am eligible and from what I can tell I will probably be dinged for taxes every year.

I have never lived in the Netherlands, nor do I have a bank account or an insurance number there. I am not eligible for old age pension in the Netherlands because I have never lived or worked there.

This is a long shot because I know the Swiss like to follow their strict rules, but are there ever any exceptions for this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions about how I might be able to get this pot of money through transfer, cash reimbursement or investment in a home (abroad), rather than waiting 33 years?

Thank you very much for the help!
Reply With Quote