View Single Post
Old 02.07.2017, 12:49
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,668 Times in 7,553 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Sorry, long post warning.

Quote:
View Post
I know, it's ridiculous. Do you really need: names, addresses, dates of birth, political affiliation, last four digits of social security number, voting history since 2006, criminal convictions and military status to ascertain if someone is eligible to vote or not? Neither political affliation or voting history should be included. Criminal convictions I guess maybe if they're not allowed to vote, but what's your military status got to do with voting?
Names, addresses, political party membership and voting history (i.e. that you voted, not how you voted) are publicly available information in every state, AFAIK. The commission can request that info. Many Americans aren't affiliated with a political party.

Last 4 of SSN may or may not be on records and is confidential. A lot of states have you register with your driver's license number instead.

Criminal history is a bit vague, because it's a totally different government department. State election offices are required to "bounce" their database against the criminal record database for felonies only. Not all felons are registered to vote. Not all of them use their real names. Not all of them even try to vote.

Military is also vague. There are tens of thousands of men and women on active duty and in the reserves. Those within the lower 48 tend to vote in person like everyone else. As Medea says, the commission's request seems to single out the absentee military voters, which again has almost nothing to do with fraud.

Quote:
View Post
I see her dominating him..

Look beneath the surface marton, look beneath the surface.

Don't understand the push for portraying her needy and submissive, must be some male fantasy really.
I'm agree. She's a tough cookie and is not cowering behind him. Sure, she's a bit shy and trying to find her way in this new role but she'll get there. I bet behind closed doors she's got his number.

Quote:
View Post
The House will become stronger through this and take back some of the Presidential power. They cannot rely on Trump to lead the nation so they will step up to the plate. The clarity that Trump is not mentally fit to lead a nation will unite them enough to bring the US through the next four years or until another President has been chosen.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/01/po...wer/index.html
I'd like to think you're right but we'll see. Congress or not, the office of the president still has a lot of power, particularly when it comes to foreign policy.

Quote:
View Post
California, a state Trump singled out for “serious voter fraud,” also refused to participate. Alex Padilla, the California secretary of state, said providing data “would only serve to legitimize the false and already debunked claims of massive voter fraud.”

If there really was no voter fraud then wouldn't providing the information delegitimize the voter fraud claims by proving them false?
You'd think so but it's not that simple. Voter fraud takes many forms, from the deliberate (impersonation) to the good intentions that happened to be against the law (husband votes for his deceased wife when the absentee ballot comes in). For his claims of fraud, Trump believes that many illegals voted. None of the information the commission requested will help with investigating illegals voting.

In most states, you only have to certify in writing, under penalty of perjury, that you're a citizen. You don't have to prove you're a citizen. Heck, that would be difficult anyway, because the U.S. doesn't have a national identity card. You can get a SSN and a driver's license even if you're a foreigner, although it's tougher to do that if you're illegal. The majority of Americans don't have passports.

That leaves people to provide birth certificates or naturalization papers. Those cost money and are not always easy to get, particularly for older people. The courts have upheld that requiring people to "pay" to register to vote is a form of poll tax and is discriminatory - and having to pay for an ID document is included in that.

I don't have enough hours to go into what I think needs to be done to reduce what little fraud there is.

Edit, and here's a nice HuffPost Op-Ed that talks about the Morning Joe co-hosts and how they're not any better than Trump.
The following 4 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post: