View Single Post
Old 26.07.2017, 12:06
Forum Legend

Groaned at 516 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 4,100 Times in 1,953 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT jobs (Databases)

Quote:
View Post
If you are French and would find a job in the French speaking side I can imagine that it would be much less a cultural shock.
I am French and lived in Swiss Romande for many years.
I also lived "abroad" (which technically I am still doing).

I never ever had such a big cultural shock as here.

Even UK was more smooth, even Poland, or/and numerous other countries.

The only thing in common in fact is the language (well, beside a few funny words and the vigesimal thing).

In fact, it's for me to an extend where I wish I would not understand what is said locally, I would probably feel much better and more integrated.

Maybe for the OP it will be different, but clearly let's not assume it's same language, therefore no cultural shock. It's entirely different culture.

And going into details, I think it's in fact a breeding ground for potential issues between someone French vs someone Swiss. And as I said, I have plenty of other experiences, from my numerous observations, and we used to have offices in Paris too.

Different is good, is the OP abilities to adjust quickly, avoid traps which will cost YEARS in terms of professional career development. That requires really strong skills, and it is a path full of traps.
The following 3 users would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post: