View Single Post
Old 26.07.2017, 16:04

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Hmm, so taste is the ultimate arbiter. Funnily enough, those infected veggies tasted just fine. Same applies to the horse meat scandal products.

Spot the contradiction.

Besides, for someone to break the standards and requirements you need to have standards in the first place. Detection requires effective checks in order to detect the breaking thereof.

Thus the detection is actually proof of a functioning system.
Food standards do not guarantee the quality of food, they're the lowest acceptable standards for protecting public health. The horse meat scandal was a Europe wide scandal that shows how easy it was for these rules to be flouted and grand scale.

Now the USA also has standards and they're different to the EU, but in the grand scheme of things there won't be much in it, after all, how many American are dropping dead through what they eat? What they over eat perhaps, but that's another topic all together.

I don't buy tomatoes that come from Holland, because I know they'll taste of nothing. I try my best to buy only organic milk, eggs and meat. Not because I care for any nutritional benefit, but because I know the welfare standards for the animals they come from are higher. The point I'm trying to make is that at the end, you and you alone are responsible for what you put in your mouth. You should take an interest in where your food comes from. If you're worried about US Beef or Chicken, then simply don't buy it.
This user would like to thank for this useful post: