View Single Post
Old 10.08.2017, 13:40
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 63 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 648 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No reason to think that the wish of the country has changed
According to this recent article, it hasn't.

The Economist: Most Leavers want a hard Brexit. Voters at large want a soft one

"A YEAR on from the referendum, few Britons have changed their minds about whether to stay or go. Polls find that, were there another vote, the result would be similar to the 52:48 split last June. They also show that most Remainers concede that Brexit should go ahead."

I doubt that there will be a shift in opinion as most people don't like admitting to being wrong. Remainers will continue blaming problems on Brexit, Leavers will continue blaming problems on the EU. Further argument will make both sides even more entrenched. I think the only way that Leavers might admit they were wrong is if Brexit was painful for most people (though they might still prefer to blame the EU, especially if the Brexit-supporting press was still banging the drum for Brexit) and the only way Remainers might admit Brexit was right is if it improved life all round. I know which outcome I think is more likely, but then I'm biased!