View Single Post
Old 31.08.2017, 18:33
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag - how did they find out about me?

The decision tree is (relatively) simple (if you leave out all the grey areas;-):

Should
(1) concession holders (for TV/Radio rights) be obliged to fulfill the tasks listed in Art. 93 Constitution ("Radio and television shall contribute to education and cultural development, to the free shaping of opinion and to entertainment. They shall take account of the particularities of the country and the needs of the Cantons. They shall present events accurately and allow a diversity of opinions to be expressed appropriately.", https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...dex.html#a93); or
(2) should TV/Radio operators be totally free in their programming.

If (1): Should
(1.1) TV/Radio operators receive compensation for fulfilling such tasks ("Konzession mit Leistungsauftrag und Gebührenanteil"); or
(1.2) not.

If (1.1): Should such compensation:
(1.1.1) be funded by a charge ("Gebühr"); or
(1.1.2) by general taxes.

If you end up with (1.1.1) ultimately the discussion revolves around how the charge is calculated and who should pay. Personally, I have preference for the charge approach since I consider this more transparent then simply funding via the general taxes.

In the days of allegations of "fake news" in the US, there is something to be said for requiring TV and radio stations to "present events accurately and allow a diversity of opinions to be expressed appropriately"...

Whether you achieve this with funding, i.e. the carrot, or whether you can achieve this with the stick (revocation of a concession) is a whole other discussion.