View Single Post
Old 02.09.2017, 15:40
Capo Capo is offline
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Health insurance if you live in 3 different countries during the year?

View Post
Capo, before your friend goes much further, has she looked into the likelihood of her mother gaining a permit to live in Switzerland?

We tried this some years ago. Even though we (C permits) had sufficient finances to put into a guarantee and had health care covered we were told it would not be granted. However from discussions here and with friends it seems there might be quite a bit of difference in how regs are interpreted and in practice. I know of at least one non-EU B permit holder who was able to bring non-EU parents here, so go figure. Much seems to depend on practice at the Gemeinde level.

There are several threads discussing the issues, by the way.

That caveat aside, when we were planning this with an eye to a trial phase the ILs insurer back home included international travel coverage, which would have been sufficient for splitting time between countries without taking up residency. We knew we would likely have had to pay a deposit in case of hospitalization or emergncy treatment in Switzerland, so figured on keeping that money aside, think a few tens of thousands, and then deal with reimbursement later. IIRC it was a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan.
Thank you very much for the tips!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post: