View Single Post
Old 12.09.2017, 07:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 352 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 14,809 Times in 8,516 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits

The 12 month rule is pretty much set in stone so I don't think that's an option.

Unfortunately, looks like you shouldn't have deregistered. On a short stay permit you are allowed to be here for another 6 months, funds permitting and with authorisation from the cantonal migration office, to job hunt.

https://www.ch.ch/en/foreign-nationa...d-switzerland/

Whether that applies when working on a contract assignment I don't know. Might also depend on how much time was left on the L permit.

If you can afford it you could come as a tourist for up to 3 months to see if you can find anything. If not, then providing you still have sufficient funds to support yourself you can apply for a job seekers L permit for another 3 months.

Note that even if you get a job in your home country for a few months to make up the time difference if you move back here you'll only be entitled to 3 months unemployment benefit. That's the way it works if you cross borders and claim unemployment payments anywhere in Europe I believe.

Note also that more and more emphasis is being put on Swiss employers to hire people who already live and work here (B/C permit holders) so even coming as a tourist and/or getting an L permit doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to find something.

The best way would be to get a job in your home country and then apply for jobs here. That way you can support yourself while job hunting. If your skills are in demand then hopefully you'll get something.