View Single Post
Old 19.09.2017, 10:30

Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
This has always puzzled me. In what way are golliwogs and Robertson's marmalade branding racist? Is there any hint of supremacy or derogatory comment in putting an image of a black child on a jar of marmalade, or of colouring a child's doll black? Is Barbie racist too, because she's white? What about the Smurfs, or the Simpsons? To me, it seems that attempting to eradicate golliwogs and imagery of black children in a white society is a supremely racist act -- sanitization, or ethnic cleansing, by another name! Would we prefer to see children in the UK and elsewhere grow up without any knowledge of other skin types and cultures?
The golliwog as a character was a bit more than just a black child/doll. Taken from wikipedia it is described as having "black skin, eyes rimmed in white, clown lips and frizzy hair".

I might agree with you if the Golliwog was just a doll of a black boy, but it's obviously so much more.

As for the charge of "sanitization, or ethnic cleansing", one derogatory character was removed, not all images/dolls of anything not white. You are making quite a reach with that argument.