View Single Post
Old 23.09.2017, 12:50

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
pdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Pressure group calls on May to guarantee citizens' rights after Brexit

Quote:
Campaigners for EU citizens have written to Theresa May demanding a lifetime guarantee of existing rights after Brexit to “break the deadlock” in talks.

In a strongly worded letter, British in Europe warns May that if she jeopardises the rights of British nationals settled in the bloc, negotiations will hit the buffers.

“If Michel Barnier, the European parliament and the EU27 member states see that the UK government is willing to throw us, our rights, our livelihoods and our children under the Brexit bus, they will have no confidence that it will recognise and protect the rights of the 3 million or any other post-Brexit obligations in the future,” the campaign group, which represents 11 citizens groups across the EU, said.

They urge the prime minister to “stop treating citizens’ rights as a minor issue “that can be pushed aside in the headlong dash for a trade or indeed a security agreement” and plead with her to end the “platitudes” about their contribution to nationali life.

In reference to the UK’s offer, they also implore her to “please stop treating citizens’ rights as an immigration issue”.
Well, 'tis a weekend and my thoughts turned to what would happen if I were forcibly repatriated...

Unless financially bribed, kicking up a major fuss would be pretty high on the list.

As I said, 'tis the weekend, so let's take a humorous look. What, after all, would Uncle Bertrand do?

"Civil unrest and insurrection" just popped into my mind.

Merriam Webster: Synonym Discussion of insurrection
rebellion, revolution, uprising, revolt, insurrection, mutiny mean an outbreak against authority.
  • rebellion implies an open formidable resistance that is often unsuccessful.
  • revolution applies to a successful rebellion resulting in a major change (as in government).
  • uprising implies a brief, limited, and often immediately ineffective rebellion.
  • revolt and insurrection imply an armed uprising that quickly fails or succeeds.
Doubtful outcomes or implied failure aren't Uncle Bertand's style, so revolution it would have to be, then