View Single Post
Old 23.09.2017, 18:13
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Assisted suicide article

Quote:
View Post
I I've got over the idea that I am going to die next week, I feel good (look like crap!!).
well since you haven't got your blanket yet, you better not die next week

EXIT is a useful option to have on the table with long term chronic illness like cancer. We (Mr HH & I) already talked about it several times - and he feels that it gives him a safety net, if at the end point he decides not to continue taking 196 medications and fighting just to walk to the loo.

However knowing the "escape route" is there gives him the strength to give ghastly sounding treatments a go, as he knows he can pull the plug if it all gets horrendous.

Doctors are aware of his views, and there's definitely no pressure to consider EXIT, and no "judgement" reaction when we brought up the topic.

That said, speak with your Onco team. There will be someone who accompanies patients through their last moments, and will be able to answer questions. We've already been told that there is plenty of options for pain-relief, breathing support (meds to make it easier....apparently in the past lots of people died fighting for breath....they can sort that out). And apparently the vast majority of people are not scared at the end, but ready.

Gosh what a cheery Saturday afternoon chat

Take care all out there...
The following 7 users would like to thank heckenhocker for this useful post: