Thread: Roti-maker
View Single Post
Old 02.10.2017, 21:33
RIP

Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
jbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roti-maker

I think for 1000 CHF, you could go on a world master course and learn the ultimate chapati /roti skills needed.

I was brought up next door to an Indian Doctor and his family in the late 60s early 70s. We spent many days in their kitchen with his children and their mother and learnt all sorts of basic Indian cooking (they also spent similar time in my mother's kitchen learning Lancashire cuisine - Oxymoron for some people)

The buttered chapatis were my favourite - she had an AGA cooker and a Wok looking pan (with a flat bottom). She used industrial sized Ghee and a brown flour sack, which was probably Durum. She left the mix covered in a bowl for half an hour and then we all cooked our own (she had added the magic mix of salt and maybe something special) - maybe it is the midas touch, heat or time?

Butter (lurpak) was optional when we fried it. It puffed up and burnt on a few places - which tasted good to me.
The home made veg or chicken curries were something you never find in restaurants. They were designed for these chapatis. Happy days!!!
Still in contact with one of the sons Amiya- 44 years later (Spoke last week)
I am sure he has the secret Roti recipe
This user would like to thank jbrady for this useful post: