View Single Post
Old 17.10.2017, 09:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 5,015 Times in 2,367 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Farming leaders have accused Chris Grayling of “talking tripe” after he argued in a television interview that the UK could just grow more food to keep prices down if Britain crashes out of the EU.
Well ya there is a high degree of simplicity there.... I don't know much about UK farming, but I can see a few issues...

I geather cost of land is an issue due to non farmers entering the market to collect subsidies and while we should see prices drop it has an knock on effect: farmers with high borrowings will be impacted, as will farmers seeking to raise capital...

Then there is the lack of cheap labor... so many processes will need to be automated, so investment will be needed.

And on the consumer side, will people be willing to pay more, accept a more seasonal offering and probably less variety? Or will the government be forced to allow cheap imports and see it all wiped out?

And of course there is the fact that all across Europe large parts are uneconomic and we've been paying farmers for 'upkeep of the country side' rather than anything else and that includes Switzerland!